1. Technology Assessment
- Technology options screening process
- Read more about identified technologies
- Waste characterisation: more detailed analysis of waste (including composition, calorific value, etc.)
- Financial implications on municipal budgets
- Site issues
- Legislation and regulations
- Human resources
- Market potential for technology outputs
- GHG mitigation potential of different technology options
- Water usage for technology option
2. Service Delivery Assessment
Municipal service or municipal function: This options assessment will determine whether the project will be delivered through an internal or external mechanism (requires contract). A PPP is significant if technical, financial and operational risks will be transferred (This is in the PPP guidelines).
A municipal service is a service that a municipality in terms of its powers and functions provides and fees, charges or tariffs are levied in respect of such a service for example: waste collection. Whereas, a municipal function is an activity that the municipality is mandated to provide, for example: recycling.
The following procedure should be followed: